The weretigers are one of a number of lycanthropes, humans inflicted with a supernatural virus which allows them to take the the power and appearance of a specific species of animal, in this case, tiger. There are only four clans of tigers within the United States. They all keep to themselves. Their culture is also divided about purebloods, inherited lycanthropes, and attacked. Being given tiger lycanthropy is seen as a reward for a job well done. They think it is a sin to give it to someone not worthy. Tiger lycanthropy is one of the harder-to-catch strains. It is also one of the few that can be inherited, as well as caught. Tigers tend not to announce they are infected and entire families may stay in "the closet." Tigers have forced their clan members to marry other clan members, sometimes to keep the strain amongst themselves. Most have arranged marriages, they have been known to abduct known tigers, if an arranged marriage cannot be done. They are also a matriarchal society (led by a woman/queen), unlike most of the other lycanthrope societies which are patriarchal (led by a male/king).
At one point in their history all weretiger clans were found in China and were ruled by the Queen of the Yellow Clan, and through her by the Father of the Tigers. Marmee Noir killed the last known High Queen of the Yellow Clan and weakened the powers of the Father of the Tigers, permitting her to defeat him and steal his powers. The Mother of Darkness then influenced the First Emperor of China to hunt down the weretiger clans, forcing them into exile.
She permitted her servants, the Harlequin, to keep their yellow tigers as their animal to call, but continued to hunt the Yellow Clan to extinction. Secretly some of the Harlequin spared some of the yellow tigers and hid them from Marmee Noir, breeding the bloodline until the day they can put the Darkness back to sleep.
After over two thousand years, some of the clans settled in the New World, including the White and Red Clans. The Blue and Black clans have dwindled to only a few individuals, while the yellow was believed extinct.
- The 'call' is the ability of dominant tigresses to attract lovers and eventually mate. The stronger the weretigers power the larger the distance a call can travel. Only the strongest dominant queens are able to block another queen's 'call'.
- Heightened hearing, agility and endurance; they are significantly stronger and faster then normal humans.
- While regular weapons can cause them injury, they will heal most wounds given time, but are still vulnerable to silver
- Weretigers can give their beast to another tiger avoiding transformation. This allows females to carry a pregnancy to term. Though because of the tigers they have taught different lycanthropes species like wolf and leopard to keep the fetus through out the the pregnancy
While the weretigers were ruled by the Master of Tigers they were more powerful and had special abilities specific to each clan.
- The Black Clan had the power to control water.
- The Blue Clan could control air. They could raise storms and make them obey their will.
- The Yellow Clan could control the earth and all energies upon it, and were capable of provoking earthquakes.
- The Red Clan had the power of pyrokinesis. Alex Pinn awakens this power after sleeping with Anita.
- The White Clan could create electricity.
Once there were hundreds of weretiger clans, one for each colour the tigers could have, but most have gone extinct or have simple dwindled to only one individual. Some of this include:
- Black Clan - the last surviving members are Domino, Sebastian and Yiyú.
- Blue Clan - some of the last surviving members are Cynric and Fortune.
- Yellow Clan
- Chiang - Queen of a Clan.
- Li Da - Tiger prince of the Red Clan.