The wererats are one of a number of lycanthropes, humans inflicted with a supernatural virus which alows them to take the the power and appearance of a specific species of animal, in this case, rats. The lycanthropy rat virus is highly contagious. It, along with the wolf variant, is one of the easiest types of lycanthropy to catch.
Wererats have two form availabe to them, and retain their intelect in both. Those powerfull enough have a third, hybrid man-beast form. The original human form appear normal to a casual observer, but display a feeling of contained energy to those who know what to look for. The second form is that of a full rat, but a giant one the size of a German Shepherd dog.
The hybrid form, available only to the strongest, may be that of a humanoid rat, covered in fur the color of their human hair, with long curved tails that lash around when they are angry. They walk on the balls of their elongated feet, with both hands and feet ending in sharp claws. Their heads become narrow and rat like,with black button eyes, wire-like whiskers, long pink tongues and several inch long, blade-like incisors; combined to a mouth not suited for human speach, these teeth make speaking difficult to most rats.
In the hubrid form they prefer wearing loose cut-off jeans or maternity dresses to conceal their still noticeable sexual organs; however some wererats seem to embrace their animal side and go naked, flaunting themselves. They can communicate with one another through squeaking.
- Enhanced senses, even in human form, being able to smell the mood of nearby humans; what other abilities carry over to human form is uncertain.
- Heightened hearing, agility and endurance; they are significantly stronger and faster then normal humans and move with a scrambling, slinding grace, contorting through small spaces without noticeable slowing.
- While regular weapons can cause them injury, they will heal most wounds given time, but are still vulnerable to silver.
- Command of regular rats with gestures.
- Rom - King/Leader
- Rodere - the term the wererat use to refer to the group
- Anita Blake - Guilty Pleasures Handbook