Werehyenas are one of a number of lycanthropes, humans inflicted with a supernatural virus which allows them to take the the power and appearance of a specific species of animal, in this case, hyena.
The werehyenas along with the weretigers are matriarchal societies (led by a woman/queen), unlike most of the other lycanthrope societies which are patriarchal.
- The ability to speak mind to mind among themselves.
- Heightened hearing, agility and endurance; they are significantly stronger and faster then normal humans.
- While regular weapons can cause them injury, they will heal most wounds given time, but are still vulnerable to silver and fire.
- Transformation from human to animal form heals most injuries instantly, up to and including fresh loss of limbs unless the wound has been cauterized, but quick transformations use up a lot of energy and only the most powerful werehyenas can transform into an animal and back without immediately passing out in exhaustion afterwards and sleeping for several hours.
- Werehyena jaws are stronger than most wereanimals', to the point that they can eat through the side of a Buick with one bite.
- Oba - leader, usually a female.