Each Lukoi pack has a special place of power called the Lupanar. During the full moon the pack assembles there and celebrates by shifting into their animal forms and hunting. The Lupanar is their primary gathering place, where meetings are held, traditions observed, formal challenges are made and succession fights are held. Each Lupanar is distinctive depending on the terrain and the pack personality. The Lupanar is also sacred ground, a place of magic, tradition, and where the Munin draw together and share power.
When a pack member dies, the other members eat him or her. The dead wolf then joins the Munin, whose spirits act as guides, providing wisdom and sometimes power through those who possess the rare ability to channel them. Thus the dead are not truly gone as long as the pack remains. (According to Norse legend Munin was the name of Odin's raven. Munin means "memory".) Occasionally, a member of the pack is excluded from this ritual either by accident or by design and this results in their memories being excluded or lost to the pack.
Submissive - Dominant Edit
Pack standing is established by being dominant over other wolves. Dominance is established by challenging and either fighting or backing down other pack members. Dominance fights are rarely to the death and sometimes are psychological battles. If the werewolf being challenged does not wish to fight, they simply acknowledge the challenger's dominance and the confrontation is over. The victor rises in rank and assumes the spot vacated by the defeated.
To ask for protection, a wolf can petition a dominant by brushing up against the dominant. If it is granted, the dominant will touch the submissive which then signals to any other lycanthropes in the area that he or she will protect that petitioner from their enemies/pursuers. When a werewolf asks someone for protection they are admitting the other is dominant to them. If the wolf is given this protection, they are in effect fully under the command of the person giving the protection. All other wolves will either simply acknowledge this protection and move on, or challenge the protection.
Packs usually appoint sponsors to new wolves to teach them about the change, control, and how to walk successfully in the two cultures. Normally the sponsor will teach new wolves about sex as a Lukoi. In some cases if the sponsor is unable or unwilling, the Eros or Eranthe may be assigned to act as sexual surrogates.
Sex or in some circumstances lust, can release the beast against the will of the Lukoi. Which is why its been referred to as the "Killing Dance". Sex with humans can result in their death when at the moment of orgasm the wolf shifts and tears their partner apart. Older wolves can control and resist this, however not shifting during sex among wolves is considered holding back and is almost like saying it wasn't THAT good.
These are mostly unique lycanthropic based powers of the werewolves that have been described in the books.
- Partial shifting of body, such as only hands to claws - only the strongest alphas can do this (LaC, tKD) Raina, Richard, Sylvie, Marcus, Roxanne (BM)
- Ability to 'share power' with/through their blood - a rare gift, Richard has it (tKD)
- Ability to control the shifting of others - not common, Richard can do it. (NiC)
- Ability to heal - a rare gift, Raina had it and often linked it with sex (BO)
- Ability to change forms in a more rapid time-frame - some strong alphas can return to human form quickly after assuming the animal shape. This often comes at an energy cost, though. Richard can do this, (NiC)
Known Packs Edit
- Group Name: Thronnos Rokke Clan (Rock Throne Clan)
- Current Leader: Richard Zeeman, Ulfric, Anita Blake, Lupa
- Former Leader: Marcus Fletcher, known as the Ulfric, his mate, the Lupa *Raina Wallis
- Group Structure: The clan group is known collectively as a pack, the *entire group as the lukoi. Clans functions like a wild wolf pack with *alphas, dominants and submissives
- Group Size: Over 600? (NiC)
- Treaty through Richard, with Rafael and the wererats;
- Treaty with the werehyenas;
- Agreement with the Master of the City; they are his 'animal to call'.
- Members of the Coalition.
- Richard has good relationship with the Ulfric of the Oak Tree Clan.
- Pack Name: Oak Tree Clan
- Location: Myerton, TN
- Ulfric/Lupa: Verne & Roxanne
- Interactions with St. Louis: Richard has visited here frequently while doing his doctoral research. In BM, he looked (auditioned, it seemed) for a new lupa here as well.
- Pack Name: Los Lobos
- Location: Santa Fe, NM
- Ulfric/Lupa: ??
- Interactions with St. Louis: As lupa, Anita met the local Ulfric when she was visiting Edward during OB.