|Anita Blake novels and comic series. The Wiki has 362 articles. You can check out the new pages, recent changes, and statistics. If you need help, please visit the Help section.
|If you have questions, please post them at our community center, the Main Page discussion. If you wish to create an article and want to test it beforehand, please use the Sandbox. We hope you enjoy the Wiki, and help us enrich it.|
Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter is a series of fictional works set into a fantasy world parallel to our own, where vampires, shapeshifters (including lycanthropes such as werewolves), faeries, etc. exist, where humans can have a wide variety of psychic and magical abilities from clairvoyance to re-animating the dead, and where faith causes religious items to glow in the presence of active vampire powers regardless of the religion. This parallel world is complex and ever-changing, as the relationships and power structures evolve and we learn more about the numerous subgroups.
In the middle of all of this is Anita Blake, the heroine of the series, who tries to figure out her own life and relationships while doing her part to keep the people safe from the monsters -- and, when the situation calls for it, the monsters safe from the people and/or each other.
The series consists of a long list of novels, a number of short stories in various formats, and Dabel Brothers/Marvel Comics adaptations of the first novels.
NOTE: The series frequently contains explicit violence, harsh themes, and detailed sexual encounters that do not always fit within the golden rule of 'safe, sane, and consensual'. This reflects to some extent to the articles within this wiki. Be warned.
Lycanthropes are humans who carry a lycanthropic virus that gives them ability to transform into an animal. There are multiple different strains of the virus, each matching to a specific animal, with werewolves, werehyenas, and wererats being possibly the most numerous groups within the United States. Each animal group has its own characteristics and culture that carry over to their human lives, although most try to hide their condition from regular humans. It's illegal to discriminate based on an illness, but there are a lot of prejudices against lycanthropes regardless.
Even in human form lycanthropy gives the carriers enhanced senses, strength, and speed, and they heal faster than human if the wound isn't caused by silver or fire. The virus can be caught through open-wound contact with bodily fluids, as well as through wounds caused by their claws or teeth. Blood of a lycanthrope may be infectious even in human shape, even if e.g. saliva isn't. A paper-cut or a torn cuticle can be enough of a wound for infection, which is why first aid on known lycanthropes is best performed with double gloves. Some strains are easier to catch than others.
All lycanthropes must transform with the full moon, unlike other flavors of shapeshifters, but they are able to transform at other times at will. The first transformations after getting infected are usually uncontrolled affairs that the new lycanthropes might not remember anything about afterwards, but when they grow in power and experience their control increases. They need to eat soon after transformation into an animal, as it consumes a lot of energy, and most lycanthropes collapse into deep unconsciousness for several hours after returning to their human form.
Refresh page to see new article...
|Bloody Bones (Book 5, Japanese edition)|
- Sep 18, 2018 - Announcement: Laurell K. Hamilton has signed a deal with her publisher Berkley for at least one more Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novel. Source.
- Aug 7, 2018 - Serpentine, the 26th novel in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series, was released. HERE!
- The 26th novel has been postponed by a year to June, 2018.
- Dec 9, 2016 - The short story A Girl, a Goat, and a Zombie was removed from Laurell K. Hamilton's site, but it might return some day.
- The 26th novel is rumored to be out in June, 2017.
- Nov 3, 2016 - A Girl, a Goat, and a Zombie, a new short story, was available for free on Laurell K. Hamilton's site for a short time. HERE!
- Dec 6, 2016 - Wounded, an extended epilogue to Dead Ice that was included in the paperback edition, was released as an eBook. HERE!
- Oct 11, 2016 - Crimson Death, the 25th novel in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series, was released. HERE!
- Book 01: Guilty Pleasures
- Book 02: The Laughing Corpse
- Book 03: Circus of the Damned
- Book 04: The Lunatic Cafe
- Book 05: Bloody Bones
- Book 06: The Killing Dance
- Book 07: Burnt Offerings
- Book 08: Blue Moon
- Book 09: Obsidian Butterfly
- Book 10: Narcissus in Chains
- Book 11: Cerulean Sins
- Book 12: Incubus Dreams
- Book 13: Micah
- Book 14: Danse Macabre
- Book 15: The Harlequin
- Book 16: Blood Noir
- Book 17: Skin Trade
- Book 18: Flirt
- Book 19: Bullet
- Book 20: Hit List
- Book 21: Kiss the Dead
- Book 22: Affliction
- Book 23: Jason
- Book 24: Dead Ice
- Book 25: Crimson Death
- Book 26: Serpentine